BOOK 2, POST 2

For book 2, I chose to read "Resilient: How to Grow an Unshakable Core of Calm, Strength, and Happiness" by Rick Hanson. I chose this book after thoughtfully scrolling through the list of "Best Books of 2018 for a Meaningful Life." From the first few chapters, I knew I was going to like this book a lot. I'll be honest, I am a sucker for some good self-help advice. I feel like with age and maturity, I am constantly looking for things that are going to better my way of life, even if it means making me a little uncomfortable in the present. This book did a lot of that for me, while also backing with its science, evidence, and anecdotes from the author to better support his arguments. 

A chapter is devoted to each of the 12 tools--compassion, mindfulness, learning, grit, gratitude, confidence, calm, motivation, intimacy, courage, aspiration, and generosity--and there are exercises to help you personally relate to and apply the tool. The book is written in such a way that you can read the book straight through, or jump from chapter to chapter according to your interest or need.

One thing that stuck out to me in this book is how Hansen as an author makes it feel as though he's talking with you and not to you. First of all, there's an amazing amount of self-revealing from the author, which is something that I admire. This made the entire book less accusatory and much more reassuring. From the first few chapters of this book, the book instantly feels like you are reading a guided meditation. He takes time in his book to walk you through how to handle situations in order to grow your resilience. Notably, he discusses how it's important to learn from our positive experiences so that they are stored in our brains as inner resources. To move forward learning from our rights and our wrongs. I think this is something super valuable that I took away from this book. 

Although cliche, there were a few quotes from the book that I thought I would share: 

"Too many people overvalue what they are not and undervalue what they are" 

"True resilience fosters well-being, an underlying sense of happiness, love, and peace"

"Compassion helps you bounce back. It lowers self-criticism and builds up self-worth, helping you be more ambitious and successful not complacent and lazy"


Comments

  1. Hi Morgan! I loved reading your post. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book that you chose. It sounds like a book you can really take a lot out of and even apply to how you go about your own life!

    ReplyDelete

  2. Hi morgan- really interesting post. I liked the quotes you selected that stood out to you, especially the one about compassion. I think that is a very important one. Glad you were able to enjoy your book 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Morgan, I too love a good self-help book so I enjoyed learning more about the book you read for this assignment! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Morgan, totally relate to how you feel about reading self-help books. They can feel intimidating to apply and confront in your own life so I'm glad that you were able to take away a lot from this book! I think the first quote is truly so important to remember as everyone is constantly comparing themselves to someone else but not nearly valuing enough where they stand at the present. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Morgan. It seemed like you picked a book right up your alley. A self-help book is always a great read, especially when what they are saying is backed up. I'm glad you enjoyed this book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts