Book 1 - Post 2
I really enjoyed American Like Me by America Ferrera. Since every essay came from a different notable person, it was interesting to see the similarities and differences in each person's writing style. Every story followed a similar story about what it means to live in America, from people who are either immigrants or the children of immigrants. The powerful stories from these celebrities, influencers, and entrepreneurs were seamlessly told through their conversational writing style and consistent use of anecdotes.
One thing I liked about this book that was pretty consistent across all the stories told was the use of anecdotes to tell their story. The chapter would start by telling a light-hearted story, like when Reshma Saujani described her experience trying to find her name on a plastic keychain. A story I am sure many of us can relate to doing at one point in our lives, it really allows us to connect with her through her writing. What I enjoyed most about how all of these authors write about their experiences is through their stories. If all these authors just wrote about the general, overarching theme, their writings would blend and it would feel repetitive. Through anecdotes, however, they use explicit details and dialogue that allow the reader to paint a picture.
I really enjoyed Carmen Carrera's chapter in particular. I think she took a really interesting approach to write about her experiences as a transgender, Latinx American. She wrote her chapter in the form of a letter to her younger self. As the reader, it felt very intimate to read a letter that someone is writing to themselves. It feels like she is talking to you when she is really talking to her younger self. I thought it was a very powerful way to tie in anecdotes while also further relaying her overall message.
Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book and I am glad I chose it--or was easily convinced to read it. The stories were conversational and easy to follow. The anecdotes were interesting and really painted a picture of what it means to live in America as an immigrant or a child of an immigrant.

Hey Morgan - I also enjoyed the personal anecdotes from each story. It made the book an leisurely & fun read.
ReplyDeleteHi Morgan, I totally agree! The anecdotes made the read more personable and easy to follow. I also thought Reshma did a great job making her story relatable and by even listing all the bizarre "R" names that she remembered seeing on the keychains, like Rainbow.
ReplyDeleteHi Morgan - I thought carmen's narratives and her approach was really cool as well. The short story style of this books makes it really easy to ingest.
ReplyDeleteHi Morgan, I totally agree. I loved reading about all the different backgrounds and experiences of each person. Although they were different, they all had the same underlying message.
ReplyDeleteHi Morgan! I also enjoyed the format of Carmen Carrera's extract and how she wrote a letter to her younger self. It even made me think what we say to our younger selves!!
ReplyDelete