Book 1 - Post 1

I would like to say that I put a lot of time and research into what book I would be reading for this assignment -- but that would be a lie. Something to know about me is that I am a very indecisive person, so when Professor Hansen said American Like Me by America Ferrera was a fan favorite, it instantly went into my amazon cart. What I can say drew me to this book as well is the fact that it is one book composed of multiple stories from different voices. Maybe it was my short attention span that drew me to this, or maybe it was my fondness for storytelling--either way, it was the book I ended up choosing.

From page one of American Like Me, I felt an instant connection to the author, America Ferrera. If you remember from the first day of class, the fact about me that did not relate to USC was related to my love of the Dodgers. Within the first few lines, Ferrera also talks about her experience going to Dodger games, describing the events' food, ambiance, and sensation. The conversational style of Ferrera discussing something I have grown up experiencing myself resonated with me and kept me engaged. While I have only read a small portion of the book so far, I prefer reading this writing style and look forward to reading more. 

Comments

Popular Posts